Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Howling Hurt of Vulnerability

Not Here by Rumi trans. by Coleman Barks from The Sould of Rumi (Harper One)
There's courage involved if you wantto become truth. There is a broken-
open place in a lover. Where are
those qualities of bravery and sharp
compassion in this group? What's the
use of old and frozen thought? I want
a howling hurt. This is not a treasury
where gold is stored; this is for copper.
We alchemists look for talent that
can heat up and change. Lukewarm
won't do. Halfhearted holding back,
well-enough getting by? Not here.

I've been searching for three days now for a good poem about vulnerability.  It was getting late, I was getting tired and so I decided to settle for Rumi when I came across this poem that isn't actually settling at all as it's exactly what I was looking for.  (And really, is going with Rumi ever truly settling?)

I wanted something on vulnerability so I could post the link to this video by sociologist Brene Brown.  Several months ago we used elements of her TED talk on vulnerability as our discussion material for Centering Prayer.  The conversation I thought might last two weeks lasted for two months.  Her talk on the price of invulnerability is just as powerful.  Watching it will be fifteen minutes well spent, I promise.  If you haven't seen her first talk, click the link above and spend another twenty minutes to learn more about her studies on shame, guilt, vulnerability and whole heartedness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment