Friday, March 15, 2013

Good Days, Bad Days and Eh Days

Bad Day by Kay Ryan from Say Uncle (Grove/Atlantic, Inc.)
Not every day
is a good day
for the elfin tailor.
Some days
the stolen cloth
reveals what it
was made for:
a handsome weskit
or the jerkin
of an elfin sailor.
Other days
the tailor
sees a jacket
in his mind
and sets about
to find the fabric.
But some days
neither the idea
nor the material
presents itself;
and these are
the hard days
for the tailor elf.


I may not be elfin and I'm certainly no tailor, I can barely sew on a button, but this is one of those days where I can relate to the tailor elf.  The "stolen" poems (actually not stolen, I try to be careful about my attributions) aren't revealing much and I'm not feeling very inspired.  Some days are like that.  They make me appreciate those when poems are revelations and inspiration and imagination stroll hand in hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment