Monday, March 19, 2012

Mary Oliver Monday - Mysteries, Yes

MYSTERIES, YES
by Mary Oliver from Evidence (Beacon Press)

Truly, we live with mysteries too marvelous
  to be understood.

How grass can be nourishing in the
  mouths of the lambs.
How rivers and stones are forever
  in allegiance with gravity
    while we ourselves dream of rising.
How two hands touch and the bonds will
  never be broken.
How people come, from delight or the
  scars of damage,
to the comfort of a poem.

Let me keep my distance, always, from those
  who think they have the answers.

Let me keep company always with those who say
  "Look!" and laugh in astonishment,
  and bow their heads.


Yesterday when I confessed my recent addiction to the British show, Midsomer Murders, I neglected to mention that Chief Inspector Barnaby is just one in a long series of British detectives, on the television and in print, with whom I'm enthralled.  Miss Marple, Thomas LynleySebastian St. Cyr, Simon Serailler, Brother Cadfael, Duncan Kinkaid and Gemma James, Jimmy Perez. . . I could go on but I won't. 

The point is, I love a good mystery.  I love learning about the characters (AKA suspects) and what makes them tick.  I love unraveling the back stories and following the threads of intrigue and motive.  I love trying to get one step ahead of the detective, even if my reasoning is based on intuition and conjecture rather than facts and evidence.  The only thing I don't love is when I know the answer early on in the story. Nothing ruins a good mystery like an easy answer. 

And that goes for life as well as fiction. 

Look for something today that causes you to laugh or bow your head in astonishment. 



2 comments:

  1. I also love this poem of Mary Olivers as I love most of her work. As for the British mystery novels, I love a series of them by Kate Atkinson that starts with "Case Histories". And another series by Jacqueline Winspear which starts with the novel "Maisie Dobbs" and continues on with novels relating Maisie's adventures as a woman detective in Britain in the 1920's and 1930's. I'm not very familiar with blogs so since you posted this one in 2012, I'm not sure you'll ever see my note, but anyway, Be Well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see your note and it even inspired me to get back to blogging on a (hopefully) weekly basis at least! I discovered the Maisie Dobbs novels after Christmas and had read all of them by the middle of January. I love Kate Atkinson as well and just finished "Life After Life" and hated to see it end but then learned her latest is a continuation of that story so it's high on my "to read" list. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete