Saturday, March 24, 2012

I Am Going to Start Living Like a Mystic

I AM GOING TO START LIVING LIKE A MYSTIC
by Edward Hirsch from Lay Back the Darkness (Knopf)

Today I am pulling on a green wool sweater 
and walking across the park in a dusky snowfall. 

The trees stand like twenty-seven prophets in a field, 
each a station in a pilgrimage—silent, pondering. 

Blue flakes of light falling across their bodies 
are the ciphers of a secret, an occultation. 

I will examine their leaves as pages in a text 
and consider the bookish pigeons, students of winter. 

I will kneel on the track of a vanquished squirrel 
and stare into a blank pond for the figure of Sophia. 

I shall begin scouring the sky for signs 
as if my whole future were constellated upon it. 

I will walk home alone with the deep alone, 
a disciple of shadows, in praise of the mysteries. 


I've been saving this poem for a wintry feeling day in Lent but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so instead I'm offering it on this foggy Saturday morning.

Living like a mystic may seem daunting to many.  Mystics are seen as a rarefied breed, often portrayed as living apart from the world.  But as Hirsch's poem points out, mysticism is simply a way of being in the world that looks beyond the surface of thing.  Mystics read from the book of Creation and understand it is a tale of mystery not history, poetry rather than prose. 

What mysteries do you praise?

No comments:

Post a Comment