Wednesday, March 21, 2012

God Says Yes To Me

GOD SAYS YES TO ME
by Kaylin Haught from The Palm of Your Hand (Tilbury House Publishers)

I asked God if it was okay to be melodramatic
and she said yes
I asked her if it was okay to be short
and she said it sure is
I asked her if I could wear nail polish
or not wear nail polish
and she said honey
she calls me that sometimes
she said you can do just exactly
what you want to
Thanks God I said
And is it even okay if I don't paragraph
my letters
Sweetcakes God said
who knows where she picked that up
what I'm telling you is
Yes Yes Yes

I've been wanting to post this poem for a while. Yesterday it kept running through my mind and this morning as I was reading my e-mail, I discovered it is today's poem from the Poetry 180 project from the Library of Congress

We'll return to David Whyte Wednesday next week but this morning I needed something a little more straightforward.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for poems I need to really chew on like a piece of sugar cane to get to their sweetness.  At other times I just want to hold a poem in my mouth like a piece of chocolate and let it melt.  And then there are the days when I just need a quick shot of poetry-- a Pixie stick poem.  And as today is one of those days, I give you the poem above. 

So break open the striped paper tube, dump it's sugary goodness into your mouth, and consider all the ways in which God is saying yes to you today . . .

[Public Service Announcement:  I learned the other day that not everyone who reads blogs knows about in text links.  When I mention something, such as the Poetry 180 project or a poem or book that appears in green, you can click on that word and it will take you to another website for that project, book, poem, etc.]

No comments:

Post a Comment