Monday, February 27, 2012

Mary Oliver Monday - Yellow

YELLOW
by Mary Oliver from Evidence (Beacon Press)

There is the heaven we enter
through institutional grace
and there are the yellow finches bathing and singing
in the lowly puddle.

Welcome to Mary Oliver Monday.  When I was looking at all the poems I collected for Lent, I noticed an abundance of Mary Oliver, David Whyte and, of course, Billy Collins.  As this is the first full week in the season, I decided to inaugurate Mary Oliver Monday-- to be followed by David Whyte Wednesday later in the week.  I'm still trying to decide what day of the week to designate Billy Collins Day since there's not easy alliterative connection. 

The image of the finches singing really struck me this morning.  While meteorological spring begins on Thursday and seasonal spring a few weeks later, my personal start of spring is marked the morning I'm awakened before daylight by the song of an eager early bird in the backyard.  Now I'm awaiting the mother mallard who, for the past few years, has appeared to check out our yard, looking for a safe space to lay her eggs. She always rejects us, moving on after a day or two of scouting, but her presence still speaks of the promise of new life . . . a glimpse of heaven on earth. 

Where are you finding a bit of heaven around you this season?

By the way-- while these are questions for personal reflection, if you ever want to share an observation, question, answer, etc., please feel free to leave a comment.  I'm sure I'm not alone in being encouraged and inspired by the insights of others.

1 comment:

  1. yellow finches are beautiful but the sign of spring I love the most is the smell....it doesnt necessarily smell like flowers but the air smells rich, like soil...then I know winter is almost over.

    ReplyDelete