Wednesday, February 29, 2012

David Whyte Wednesday - The Journey

THE JOURNEY
by David Whyte from The House of Belonging (Many Rivers Press)

Above the mountains
 the geese turn into
   the light again

painting their
  black silhouettes
    on an open sky.

Sometimes everything
  has to be
    enscribed across
      the heavens

so you can find
  the one line
    already written
      inside you.

Sometimes it takes
  a great sky
    to find that

first, bright
  and indescribable
    wedge of freedom
      in your own heart.

Sometimes with
  the bones of the black
    sticks left when the fire
      has gone out

someone has written
  something new
    in the ashes
      of your life.
You are not leaving
you are arriving.


My apologies to any early bird readers for the late posting this morning.  Although I was awakened at 6ish by the honking of geese flying over the house (and thus another geese poem for this morning), it's one of those rainy mornings in the DC area where only the need for a cup of tea drives me from the comfort of my bed.  In fact, I think an upcoming poem will celebrate staying in bed, so a bit of a teaser there . . .

But for today, an oft quoted David Whyte poem.  Yesterday thoughts of geese lingered throughout the day and I found myself wondering about the role of geese in some of these poems-- are they prophets or sacraments?  Anglican divine Richard Hooker defines sacrament as an "outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace."  While this is a theological definition my brain comprehends and I can get behind, when I read David Whyte's words, I understand it in my bones and know it to be true. 


What outward and visible signs of inward and spiritual grace are true for you? 

What is the line written inside you?

No comments:

Post a Comment