Monday, August 6, 2012

A Billy Collins and Mary Oliver Two For . . .

I was so engrossed in reading over the weekend that I forgot to write until late last night when I was two books down and well into an amazing novel (Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton).  Instead of blogging, I opted to continue to read until well past the hour I told myself I should go to sleep.  Even as I sit at my desk to get my writing in before taking my BFF out for lunch to celebrate his birthday, I can feel the siren song of Lupton's story calling me to abandon my work and read.  But I'll resist until this evening. 

Was it really their singing voices or the fact that they'd stumbled upon an   
island populated by scantily clad women that attracted sailors to the sirens? 
Since I missed Billy Collins Sunday, I figured it was a great opportunity to combine it with Mary Oliver Monday and mention, especially for those in the DC area, that Billy Collins and Mary Oliver are doing a joint reading at Strathmore on Sunday, October 28.  Information about the event and a link to purchase tickets can be found here.  The program description is vague.  It basically just gives bios for both poets so it will be interesting to see what actually happens on stage.  Will they have a conversation about poetry?  Comment on each others' poems and their own?  Or simply get up and take turns reading like a game of tag between poets?

Whatever they do, I'm sure it will be enlightening and lovely.  In the meantime, here are a couple links to Billy Collins and Mary Oliver doing talks/readings in other settings.  They're a bit longer than the You Tube links I've posted in the past but are well worth watching.

The first is a TED talk by Billy Collins where he presents five of his poems that have been animated and shares his wisdom about making poetry accessible and available to readers, and making poetry from the perspective of the poet.  It really captures his wry sense of humor.


The second video is an introduction to a conversation between Coleman Barks and Mary Oliver that begins with her reading a few poems.  Watching the honey tongued Barks question the poet is like finding two fortunes in your cookie-- you get an extra dose of wisdom and humor.  The entire 45 minute reading and conversation can be found here


No comments:

Post a Comment