Friday, July 27, 2012

On Migraines and Mystics (and Cookies of Joy)

From the writings of Hildegard of Bingen
Oh fire of the Holy Spirit,
life of the life of every creature,
holy are you in giving life to forms…
Oh boldest path,
penetrating into all places,
in the heights, on earth,
and in every abyss,
you bring and bind all together
From you clouds flow, air flies,
Rocks have their humours,
Rivers spring forth from the waters
And earth wears her green vigour.


I intended to blog yesterday.  I even fell asleep mulling over what my topic for yesterday's post would be-- revisiting a series of books that was a childhood favorite?  The glories of BBC Radio pod casts?  Helpful apps for writers and meditators?  All were possibilities until I woke in the wee hours, feeling like someone was simultaneously trying to poke my eyeballs out of my head from inside while snapping a rubber band repeatedly against the back left-hand side of my skull.  

All Being's Celebrate Creation
I should have known a migraine was coming before the pain arrived.  Wednesday evening as I was tending the marinated veggies that were grilling for dinner, I looked around the backyard and noticed that creation was looking particularly lovely that evening.  Not only was there a sharpness to the individual blades of grass and petals of the fading echinacea, the colors around me seemed more saturated and the trees and bushes seemed to shimmer and hum with light as their leaves waved in the breeze.  When I'm inside and notice the curtains and carpet take on this aura, I realize that a migraine is on the horizon and I take preventative action (Excedrin migraine and magnesium washed down with a can of classic Coca Cola).  Outside with the birds singing and the sun shining and the breeze blowing, I just put it down to the viriditas of creation as Hildegard describes in the poem above.

Vision of the Cosmos
According to neurologist Oliver Sacks, Hildegard's descriptions of viriditas, as well as some of her visions and drawings, point to her being a migraine sufferer.  Her description of black stars falling into the ocean out of a bright sky, or a bright light within a cloud of light are evidently common images experienced by those who suffer from visual migraines.  And although I've never had a visual migraine myself (I just get the bog standard head ache, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound kind) perhaps this explains why Hildegard's writings and drawings resonate so strongly with me.  There's something in the images she portrays on paper in both words and shapes that I recognize in my bones.  Whether this comes from a shared experience of pain or creation, who knows and who can say if those aren't connected as well. 

But this I can say for sure, among her many talents-- artist, author, musician, spiritual leader, herbalist and healer-- Hildegard came up with a recipe for some damn fine cookies.  Here it is,  reconstructed and adapted from her book, Physica.  This particular mix of spices was supposed to banish depression . . . The addition of the butter and brown sugar is what adds the joy, at least that's my theory.  Given them a try the next time you're feeling a little blue or whip up a batch to munch on while learning more about Hildegard as you watch the movie, Vision, which is available on Netflix on Demand. 

Hildegard's Cookies of Joy
 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened

1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon*
1 tsp ground nutmeg*
1/2 tsp ground cloves *
Preheat oven to 350.  
Cream butter and brown sugar.  
Beat in the egg.
Sift the dry ingredients.
Add half the dry ingredients and mix.
Add the other half and mix thoroughly.
Chill dough for 30 minutes if too soft to work.
Form walnut sized balls of dough, place on greased and floured cookie sheet and press flat.
Bake 12-15 minutes (till edges of are golden brown.) Cool for 5 minutes, remove from cookie sheet and finish cooling on racks.

* - I never measure my spices with a measuring spoon and suspect I often add more than the recipe calls for-- more like 1 1/2 - 2 tsps. of cinammon and nutmeg and 1 tsp. of cloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment