Friday, May 18, 2012

Carpe Libris - The May Version


It's time once again for Carpe Libris.   Here's what's on the top of the stacks of books by my bed and on my Kindle this month . . .

Wales:  Epic Views of a Small Country  and
A Writer's House in Wales by Jan Morris
If you are an arm chair traveler and haven't yet discovered the writing of Jan Morris, you're in for a treat.  I first discovered her work when I returned from Venice, head over heels in love with the city and determined to read every scrap of writing I could find about it.  Just as she helped fan the flames of my passion for La Serenissima, Jan Morris has helped me continue to fall in love with Wales, albeit a very different type of love.  I want to settle down and grow old with Wales, and A Writer's House in Wales gave me hope that may some day happen.  It's hard to describe the book-- part history, part house tour, part memoir, it's a glimpse into a cozy corner of not only a writer's life but also the Welsh landscape.  I've now moved onto Wales: Epic Views of a Small Country, and am finding the prose just as resonant as it often echoes the rolling hills and sweeping seascapes of the country itself.

                                                      As Seen On TV:  Provocations by Lucy Grealy
Although I'd read about Lucy Grealy, I'd never read anything by her until I purchased this book of essays.  What lured me to them was the teaser that they mainly written, "simply for the pleasure of the act." There's something appealing about reading a piece that an author has written for no other reason than it's a joy to write.  And although cliches could be used to describe the sixteen pieces of writing that make up this book . . . at times heartbreakingly touching, at times scathingly funny . . . Lucy's voice is so strong and honest throughout that I feel like I'm listening to the voice of a friend, albeit the smartest, funniest, most talented albeit vulnerable and broken friend I could ever hope to have all rolled up into one.


Love's Urgent Longings:  Wrestling with Belief in Today's Church             by Bishop Geoffrey Robinson
A friend just gave me this book, by the former Roman Catholic bishop of Sydney.  Although I'm not Catholic, the papers I have read by Bishop Robinson on the child abuse crisis in the Catholic church and on the need for the church to change its understanding and teaching on human sexuality, have greatly impressed me with their clarity and compassion.  Those same qualities he demonstrates in his theological writings are evident in this refreshingly honest little book where he writes of his personal struggles with deconstructing the belief system he inherited from the church, and what ended up taking its place . . . at least for now.

The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss
There are so many books lining shelves in my bedroom and basement, stacked on the floor, lingering in cyberspace on my Kindle, and yet I still find myself drawn to the public library where I come across titles that I may never see otherwise . . . like this book by David Liss.  I must admit I am one of those people who do often judge books by their covers so the Austen-esque figure on the front holding a piece of paper with magical symbols was what initially caught my eye.  And a story that weaves together the English Luddite rebellion of the early nineteenth century, Lord Byron, magic, and a spunky heroine who knows her own heart and learns to know her own power all make for the perfect early summer reading.  I finished this book in two evenings and am off to the library later this afternoon to look for more books by David Liss . . . and any others with covers that capture my attention.

So what are you reading??????






No comments:

Post a Comment