Saturday, December 29, 2012

Easing into the New Year

Winter is the Best Time by David Budbill from While We've Still Got Feet (Copper Canyon Press)
Winter is the best time
to find out who you are.

Quiet, contemplation time,
away from the rushing world,

cold time, dark time, holed-up
pulled-in time and space

to see that inner landscape,
that place hidden and within.



I love soup and sweaters, long books and even longer nights, the way the stars sparkle like ice in a winter sky and the blinding sun reflecting off a crusty layer of newly fallen snow.  Winter is the best time.  And in this threshold time between the first day of Christmas and the last, I often find myself  quiet contemplation time that David Budbill mentions in his poem. 

Often the occasion for my contemplation is the turning of the year.  My days of making resolutions and indulging in too much champagne are behind me.  Now I prefer to spend the days leading up to New Year's Eve reflecting on the year that has past and looking forward to the year that is on the horizon. 

This year, I'm leading my first ever "virtual" New Year's Eve retreat.  It's a way for people who are looking to move mindfully into the new year to do just that . . . reflect upon 2012, take some time to be open to the present moment, and vision for the future.  There are reflection exercises, questions to ponder and of course, plenty of poetry to guide you on the journey.  I'll also be sending periodic e-mails to participants Sunday morning through Tuesday afternoon with additional poems/prayers/questions and we'll have a virtual check-in/sharing time on Facebook at 2 pm on Sunday and Monday for any who want to share their experiences in community. 

If you're looking for a different way to begin this year, I invite you to join us!  Click here for more information or to register. 

No comments:

Post a Comment