Thursday, November 15, 2012

Things I do when I should be working on my NaNoWriMo novel . . .

  1. Check e-mail
  2. Check Facebook and like a link
  3. Check the BBC news home page to see if any top stories have changed in the fifteen minutes since I last checked it
  4. Surf the Internet looking for information on nineteenth century American children's fashions/whaling ships/plumbing/popular novels.
  5. Make a winter reading list, including the books Winter and Cold
  6. Drink lukewarm Earl Grey tea
  7. Scrape  wax off the inside of the glass container so my eucalyptus spruce candle lasts a smidge longer
  8. Stare at my vision board and think about redoing it since it's obviously not inspiring me to write
  9. Clean out and reorganize my computer files
  10. Read a few poems by David Budbill
  11. Bake vegan apple spice scones

 In case you need to procrastinate as well, here's the recipe for the latter.

Apple Spice Drop Scones
2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
5 Tbsp. shortening (I used Earth's Balance)
1/3 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup nondairy milk (I used coconut almond)
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves (yes Jeff, ground)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 450 and put cookie sheet lined with parchment paper in oven to heat.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Dice shortening and rub it in the dry ingredients with your fingers, a fork, or a pastry blender until crumbly.  Stir in the apple sauce then add enough milk to make a sticky dough that still holds its shape.  Add spices to taste.  Stir in walnuts.  Take the cookie sheet out of the oven and drop dough by spoonfuls onto the hot baking sheet.  Bake for about 12 -15 minutes (will depend on how big they are how long they take) until golden brown on the edges.  This should make anywhere from 8 - 12 scones depending on how big a spoon you use. 







No comments:

Post a Comment